Friday 25 July 2014

I had a three hour patch visit this morning, under some mostly cloudy skies, but not much was noted, I am still a bit numbed by the loss of a good chunk of habitat over at the Greenhouse Grounds.

I made a circuit of the paddocks and sheep pasture at Migrant Alley first thing, just in case an early migrant had dropped in, but it wasn't to be, only the LINNETS, STARLINGS, WOODPIGEONS and Corvid flock were seen. Over flying HERRING GULL, LESSER BLACK BACKED and SPARROWHAWK were also noted, along with the local SWALLOWS, no Swifts were seen today though, I suspect they will be few and far between now, as they are leaving the country slowly but surely.

I checked the remaining habitat at the Greenhouse Grounds, just two WHITETHROAT were seen for the summer species, but plenty of ROBINS, DUNNOCKS and BLACKBIRDS foraged around on the now bare earth, a SONGTHRUSH also joined them for a while, as did a PIED WAGTAIL.  Whilst looking over the devastation there, I noted that a few new Oaks and a Silver Birch had been planted, and a gully had been opened up allowing a pool of water to collect, just a couple of feet in diameter, but it's something!

I spent a short time over at the Scrubby Woods and lakes, the best sighting was of the MANDARINS, the same four I saw the other day, a GREY HERON was also seen though. I looked across to the paddocks that are adjacent to the lakes, not a place I often look over, as I cant get access, but it looked good for a passage ''Chat'' maybe i'll take the time to look across more often at Migration times. There were lots of GREYLAG and CANADA GEESE out there though, a mixed gaggle of of least 50 were seen.

In the Scrubby Woods it was generally quiet, but some BLACKCAP and CHIFFCHAFF song was heard, plus the calls of NUTHATCH, TREECREEPER, BULLFINCH and COAL TIT.

On the walk back home I saw two BUZZARDS low over the Wet Woods, being mobbed by a KESTREL. I also stopped in the Small Holding to photograph some Butterflies.

After failing to correctly Identify a Brown Argus a couple of days ago, I have made amends and am certain this is one!



Underwing shot to confirm



There were plenty of Common Blue Butterflies about as well, plus a few of these Small Coppers




6 comments:

Greenie said...

Warren ,
No argument this time , male Brown Argus it is .

Warren Baker said...

....and most welcome they are Greenie :-)

Derek Faulkner said...

Warren,
Pretty much where ever you choose to live in this country these days you are going to face some kind of devastation before long. This government's obsession with building mega thousands of new houses in the countryside diminishes the amount left every year and forces people to then bring in to play areas of "wasteland" that have never been used before. If it isn't houses, it's solar panel farms or wind turbines.
Here on Sheppey this last week we have lengths of reed bed containing Reed Warblers ripped out as part of annual ditch cleaning, a length of hedge grubbed out and a few miles of hedge flayed to half the width. In the last year we have had two huge solar panel farms built on valuable farmland and there is a planning application in to erect four more wind turbines alongside two already in place.
All we can do is enjoy what's currently left and feel mighty sorry for those following us.

Warren Baker said...

Derek,
I have in the past had to disagree with much of what you have said to me, but on this occasion I think you're dead right, ''Feel mighty sorry for those folowing us'' I'm sure glad I have no kids!

Pete Woodruff said...

Really brilliant images here Warren....Great stuff.

Mike H said...

Nice set of the male Brown Argus and also those Coppers. I saw a few of both up on Queendown Warren this week (no puns intended).