Tuesday 22 July 2014

The early sunshine disappeared around 06:30hrs, but returned by 09:30hrs, making for another sunny warm day  :-)

I covered most of my patch in the five hours I was out, finding a total of 46 bird species, nothing too much out of the ordinary though. It was good to see a couple of BULLFINCH at the Greenhouse Grounds, where a WHITETHROAT family plus one KESTRELwas seen. Nothing had dropped in at the paddocks and sheep pasture at Migrant Alley, but a SPARROWHAWK flew through low, putting up around 40 STARLINGS and the mixed Corvid flock. Flyovers from HERRING GULL, GREYLAG GOOSE and SKYLARK were noted.

No Long Tailed Tits were seen in the Wet Woods / Scrubby Woods today, but the other scarcer species all made an appearance, those being GOLDCREST, COAL TIT, TREECREEPER, NUTHATCH, JAY and STOCK DOVE. BLACKCAP and CHIFFCHAFF were still singing, in the Scrubby Woods, those that weren't singing were filling up on the ever ripening Elder Berries, I hope to find my first Garden Warbler of the year doing the same very soon - fingers crossed!

Only a GREY HERON made a difference to the lake species, but whilst there 27 CANADA GEESE dropped in to join the two pairs already there. The MUTE SWAN and COOT families are doing fine still :-)

In the warmth of the late morning my mind turned to Butterflies, Dragons and Damsels, quite a good number of species were seen of each, but in small numbers. Red Eyed Damsels were seen on the Ornamental lake, where an Emperor Dragonfly was seen. Common Blue, Blue Tailed and White-legged Damsels were in the Scrubby Woods, along with Common Darter and the ever frustrating Brown Hawkers. However, a Southern Hawker that was seen and photographed was my first this year, taking my Odonata count to 17 species for 2014.

Many Butterflies were on the wing with Small and Large White, Green Veined White, Speckled Wood, Small Tortoiseshell, Comma, Peacock, Red Admiral, Small and Large Skippers plus probable Essex Skipper. Just one Purple Hairstreak was seen, but loads of Meadow browns and Gate Keepers were out, along with a few Common Blues, Small Coppers and my first Brown Argus of the month.

Female Common Blue

Common Blue

Common Blue

My first Southern Hawker for the year

Shame the sun went behind a cloud for these shots  :-(

These represent the best shots I have of this species though  :-)

8 comments:

Greenie said...

Warren ,
Sorry , but I would say it is a female CB . Not brown enough for BA and abdomen says female , in which case there would not be any blueing . Unless of course you saw the underwing and saw no spot under the 'boomerang' marking ?
Your male Sthn. Hawker is not fully mature yet , the stripes on segments 9&10 yet to turn blue .

Mike H said...

Waren must say i tend to agree with Greenie.Just does not look brown enough and too much bluing for me.

Noushka said...

Now you make me jealous with your Southern hawker!!!
I have managed only one too so far this year!!
Brilliant and sharp photos Warren.... you know where I would like to see those??!!!
Cheers, keep well!

Unknown said...

Lovely shots, particularly of the CB, I find it difficult to get so close!

Warren Baker said...

Greenie,
I thought as much! I did see a definite BA though, where as you say the spot was missing under the boomerang, I couldn't get a photo of that one though ;-)

Warren Baker said...

Cheers Mike,
I did have my doubts, but couldn't check the underwing.

Warren Baker said...

Nouska,
I 'll send them over ;-)

Warren Baker said...

Dean,
I find it difficult getting close! Just have to keep trying though!