Wednesday 8 October 2014

It was raining as I left for my patch walk this morning, but as the forecast was for showers, I decided to press on, a big mistake, as the rain turned torrential and lasted all morning!

I manged to get to the lakes, where I took shelter for a while, but it was pretty hopeless really, although I did spot 3 male and a single female MANDARIN DUCK (58) on the main lake, they were new for the months list, plus 2 CORMORANTS and a flock of 30 - 40 HOUSE MARTIN which flew over. After 90 minutes sheltering under an outbuilding, I finally legged it back home, getting thoroughly soaked in the process!

The rain finally stopped at around noon, so I had a quick walk around the sheep fields and paddocks of Migrant Alley, I didn't see much, just a few MEADOW PIPITS and PIED WAGTAILS, as well as the 3 regular raptor species of BUZZARD, SPARROWHAWK and KESTREL. In the hour I was there at least 50 more House Martins passed through, in small groups, plus once again I found a SWALLOW with them.

Photo's today are from yesterdays patch walk, more images of the the obliging Meadow Pipits   :-)




3 comments:

Marc Heath said...

That blue sky looks lovely. A few more skies like that would be nice.

Warren Baker said...

Marc,
A nice Autumn / Winter blue sky beats a summer one every time :-)

Lancashire and Lakeland Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

Superb mipit pics there Warren. Didn't see any as close as that at Spurn, didn't see anything as close as that!!!

Cheers

DaveyMan