Sunday 5 October 2014

The first frost of the Autumn greeted me this morning, but at least it was clear and sunny for the full patch walk.

The 3 and a half hours it took to complete my walk only produced 43 species, something I will have to get used to now the summer birds have gone, well most of them, as I did see a CHIFFCHAFF in the Scrubby Woods, where I also found the first COAL TIT (54) of the month at last  :-)  TREECREEPER, BULLFINCH, NUTHATCH, GOLDCREST, JAY and MISTLETHRUSH were also seen around the Scrubby Woods / Wet Woods, a KINGFISHER was the only noteworthy species at the lakes today.

A LITTLE OWL was again seen in the Greenhouse Copse, and a GREY WAGTAIL was again at the Greenhouse Grounds, where the KESTREL pair were both seen up hunting, they were only raptors seen today.

My sky watch was very pleasant, sitting in some warm sunshine, however not much flew over, a REED BUNTING was the highlight, but 3 CORMORANTS and four flocks of 8+ HERRING GULLS were also seen.

This afternoon whilst working in my garden a Chiffchaff visited, also, up in the clear blue sky I saw no fewer than 8 BUZZARDS soaring together overhead  :-)

CHAFFINCH

GREENFINCH

4 comments:

Marc Heath said...

A lovely sight no doubt, 8 Buzzards over the house. Great stuff.

Warren Baker said...

Marc,
Tried to make one a Honey Buzzard, but couldn't!

Warren Baker said...

Cheers Linda :-)

Alan Pavey said...

I kept my eyes to the skies today and didn't see one bird of prey! Nice one Warren, good count.