Friday 9 October 2015

A cracking Autumnal day weatherwise, with unbroken blue skies, warm sunshine and a light N wind, a bonus day at this time of year  :-)

The birding didn't do the fine weather justice though, as once again there was a large amount of disturbance at Migrant Alley from the sheep farmer, as there was in the Greenhouse grounds from a work crew, where unbelievably they were strimming at 07:15hrs! I bet the nearby houses loved that!

With all that noise going on, very little stayed around, though I did get to see the mixed flock of around 50-75 SISKIN and GOLDFINCH as they flew out of the Alder trees at the Greenhouse Grounds, with them was at least 1 LESSER REDPOLL which I heard calling, and a bit of a surprise, my first YELLOWHAMMER (58) of the month, which flew off with them all. It's shame about the disturbance, as these places are more likely to through up a surprise species or two at this time of year.


Siskin in the Alders


I headed off over to the Wooded areas of my patch, where a new species for the month of year list would be unlikely, but I recorded, of note, GREAT SPOTTED and GREEN WOODPECKERS, TREECREEPER, NUTHATCH, COAL TIT, LONG TAILED TIT, BULLFINCH, GREENFINCH, JAY and a flyover GREY WAGTAIL.

The lakes might just provide me with a month or year tick, but not today, just 4 CANADA GEESE, 2 GREYLAG GEESE and a few MALLARDS and MOORHENS were on the water, whilst I was there, the massed skeins of Greylags and Canada Geese flew over.

I returned to Migrant Alley around 10:00hrs, but it was very quiet, my sky watch there provided views of 3 BUZZARDS up soaring together, plus the KESTREL was out hunting over the Wooded Headland. SKYLARKS, MEADOW PIPITS, more Siskin and Redpoll, PIED WAGTAILS, plus HERRING GULL and BLACK HEADED GULL were the only other noteworthy flyovers during my 40 minute stint.

Having not seen any summer species this morning I was pleased to see a CHIFFCHAFF in my garden this afternoon, traveling through with a flock of Long Tailed Tits. I tried to get a few photo's of them, but they didn't hang about, this COLLARED DOVE was scoffing all the nuts I put out though!


Nut nicker!

3 comments:

Pete Woodruff said...

Long time since I saw 50+ Siskin.

Collared Dove nicking your nuts....sounds painful Warren.

Warren Baker said...

Pete,
That old shrivelled nut the dove has got does look a bit familiar ;-)

Marc Heath said...

Cracking Dove shots Warren, so delicate in its bill.